Hector is the Head of Modelling at Cambridge Econometrics. He holds overall responsibility for maintenance and application of E3ME and has worked with the model for more than 15 years.
In this time he has overseen the development of E3ME and has led on Cambridge Econometrics’ contributions to several high-profile EU Impact Assessments, including the recent long-term climate strategy, the Clean Energy Package and the Work-Life Balance Directive. He also coordinated inputs to the 2018 New Climate Economy report and IRENA’s recent macroeconomic analysis.
Looking beyond Cambridge Econometrics’ models, Hector is experienced in reviewing and comparing the advantages and disadvantages of different modelling approaches. He has previously worked with the UNFCCC and European Commission to better understand economic modelling.
Hector is also a departmental fellow of the C-EENRG centre at the University of Cambridge. In 2015 he was co-editor of the book Low Carbon, Sustainable Future in East Asia: How to improve the energy system, taxation and policy cooperation. A full publication list is provided below.
- Pollitt, H., Neuhoff, K. and Lin, X. (2019) ‘The impact of implementing a consumption charge on carbon-intensive materials in Europe’, Climate Policy, in press.
- Mercure, J-F., Knobloch, F., Pollitt, H., Paroussos, L., Scrieciu, S. and Lewney, R. (2019) ‘Modelling innovation and the macroeconomics of low-carbon transitions: theory, perspectives and practical use’, Climate Policy, available online.
- Mercure, J-F., Paim, M.A., Bocquillon, P., Lindner, S., Salas, P., Martinelli, P., Berchin, I.I., de Andrade Guerra, J.B.S.O., Derani, C., de Albuquerque Junior, C.L., Ribeiro, J.M.P., Knobloch, F., Pollitt, H., Edwards, N.R., Holden, P.B., Foley, A., Schaphoff, S., Faraco, R.A. and Vinuales, J.E. (2019) ‘System complexity and policy integration challenges: The Brazilian Energy-Water-Food Nexus’, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 105, pp 230-243.
- Lehmann, P., Sijm, J., Gawel, E., Strunz, S., Chewpreecha, U., Mercure, J-F. and Pollitt, H. (2018) ‘Addressing multiple externalities from electricity generation: a case for EU renewable energy policy beyond 2020?’, Environmental Economics and Policy Studies’, Volume 21, Issue 2, pp 255–283.
- Mercure, J-F., Lam, A., Billington, S. and Pollitt, H. (2018) ‘Integrated assessment modelling as a positive science: private passenger road transport policies to meet a climate target well below 2°C’, Climatic Change, November 2018, Volume 151, Issue 2, pp 109–129.
- Knobloch, F., Pollitt H., Chewpreecha U., Daioglou V. and Mercure J-F. (2018) ‘Simulating the deep decarbonisation of residential heating for limiting global warming to 1.5°C’, Energy Efficiency, Volume 12, Issue 2, pp 521–550.
- Holden, P.B., Edwards N.R., Ridgwell A., Wilkinson R.D., Fraedrich K., Lunkeit F., Pollitt H., Mercure J-F., Salas P., Lam A., Knobloch F., Chewpreecha U. and Viñuales J.E. (2018) ‘Climate–carbon cycle uncertainties and the Paris Agreement’, Nature Climate Change, Volume 8, pp 609-613 (2018).
- Mercure, J-F., Pollitt, H., Viñuales, J.E., Edwards, N.R., Holden, P.B., Chewpreecha, U., Salas, P., Sognnaes, I., Lam, A. and Knobloch, F. (2018) ‘Macroeconomic impact of stranded fossil fuel assets’, Nature Climate Change, Volume 8, pp 588–593 (2018).
- Mercure J-F., Pollitt H., Edwards N., Holden P., Chewpreecha U., Salas P., Lam A., Knobloch F. and Vinuales J. (2018) ‘Environmental impact assessment for climate change policy with the simulation-based integrated assessment model E3ME-FTT-GENIE’, Energy Strategy Reviews, Volume 20, April 2018, Pages 195–208.
- Lee, S., Chewpreecha U., Pollitt H. and Kojima S. (2018) ‘An economic assessment of carbon tax reform to meet Japan’s NDC target under different nuclear assumptions using the E3ME model’, Environmental Economics and Policy Studies Volume 20, Issue 2, pp 411-429.
- Pollitt, H. and Mercure J-F. (2017) ‘The role of money and the financial sector in energy-economy models used for assessing climate and energy policy’, Climate Policy, Volume 18, Issue 2, pp 184-197.
- Brouwer, F., Avgerinopoulos G., Fazekas D., Laspidou C., Mercure J-F., Pollitt H., Ramos E. and Howells M. (2017) ‘Energy modelling and the Nexus concept’, Energy Strategy Reviews, Volume 19, pp1-6.
- Lee, S., Chewpreecha U., Pollitt H. and Kojima S. (2017) ‘An economic assessment of carbon tax reform to meet Japan’s NDC target under different nuclear assumptions using the E3ME model’, Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, volume 20(2), pp 411-429.
- Mercure, J-F., Pollitt H., Bassi A., Viñuales J.E. and Edwards, N.R. (2016) ‘Modelling complex systems of heterogeneous agents to better design sustainability transitions policy’, Global Environmental Change, Volume 37, March 2016, pp 102–115.
- Foley, A., Holden, P., Edwards N.R., Mercure J-F., Salas P., Pollitt H. and Chewpreecha, U. (2016) ‘Climate model emulation in an integrated assessment framework: a case study for mitigation policies in the electricity sector’, Earth System Dynamics, Volume 7, Issue 1, pp 119-132.
- Kober, T., Summerton, P., Pollitt, H., Chewpreecha, U., Ren, X., Wills, W., Octaviano, C., McFarland, J., Beach, R., Cai, Y., Calderon, S., Fisher-Vanden, K. and Loboguerrero Rodriguez, A-M. (2016) ‘Macroeconomic impacts of climate change mitigation in Latin America: A cross-model comparison’, Energy Economics, Volume 56, pp 625-636.
- Barker, T., Alexandri, E., Chewpreecha, U., Ogawa, Y. and Pollitt, H. (2015) ‘GDP and Employment Effects of Policies to Close the 2020 Emissions Gap’, Climate Policy, Volume 16, Issue 4, pp 393-414.
- Pollitt, H., Summerton, P. and Klaassen, G. (2015) ‘A Model-Based Assessment of First-Mover Advantage and Climate Policy’, Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Volume 17, Issue 2, pp 299-312.
- Pollitt, H., Alexandri, E., Chewpreecha, U. and Klaassen, G. (2014) ‘Macroeconomic analysis of the employment impacts of future EU climate policies’, Climate Policy, Volume 15, Issue 5, pp 604-625.
- Mercure, J-F., Pollitt, H., Chewpreecha, U., Salas, P., Foley, A.M., Holden, P.B. and Edwards, N.R. (2014) ‘The dynamics of technology diffusion and the impacts of climate policy instruments in the decarbonisation of the global electricity sector’, Energy Policy, Volume 73, pp 686–700, Elsevier.
- Pollitt, H., Lee, S., Park, S-J. and Ueta, K. (2014) ‘An Economic and Environmental Assessment of Future Electricity Generation Mixes in Japan – An assessment using the E3MG macro-econometric model’, Energy Policy, Volume 67 (2014), pp 243-254.
- Lee, S., Pollitt, H. and Ueta, K. (2012) ‘A Model- Based Econometric Assessment of Japanese Environmental Tax Reform’,The Scientific World Journal, Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 835917.
- Ekins, P., Pollitt, H., Summerton, P. and Chewpreecha, U. (2012), “Increasing Carbon and Material Productivity through Environmental Tax Reform”, Energy Policy, 42 (3): 365-376.
- Barker, T., Anger, A., Chewpreecha, U., and Pollitt., H. (2012), “A New Economics Approach to Modelling Policies to Achieve Global 2020 Targets for Climate Stabilisation”, International Review of Applied Economics, 26 (2): 205-221.
- Ekins, P., Pollitt, H., Barton, J. and Blobel, D. (2011), ‘The Implications for Households of Environmental Tax Reform (ETR) in Europe’, Ecological Economics, 70 (12): 2472-2485.
- Barker, T., Anger., A, Dessens, O., Pollitt, H., Rogers, H., Scrieciu, S.S., Jones, R. and Pyle, J. (2010), “Integrated Modelling of Climate Control and Air Pollution: Methodology and Results from One-Way Coupling of an Energy-Environment-Economy (E3MG) and Atmospheric Chemistry Model (p-TOMCAT) in Decarbonising Scenarios for Mexico to 2050”, Environmental Science and Policy, 13 (8): 661-670.
- Pollitt, H. and Barker, T. (2009), “Modelling the Financial Crisis with the Global E3MG Model”, IUP Journal of Applied Economics, 8 (5-6): 5-31.
- Ščasný, M., Pollitt, H., Chewpreecha, U. and Píša, V. (2009), “Analysing Macroeconomic Effects of Energy Taxation by the Econometric E3ME Model”, Finance a uver – Czech Journal of Economics and Finance, 5 (9): 460-491.
- Barker, T., Ekins, P., Junankar, S., Pollitt, H. and Summerton, P. (2009), “The Competiveness Effects of European Environmental Tax Reforms”, European Review of Energy Markets, 3 (1): 1-33.
- Barker, T., Junankar, S., Pollitt, H. and Summerton, P. (2007), “Carbon Leakage from Unilateral Environmental Tax Reforms in Europe, 1995-2005”, Energy Policy, 35 (12): 6281-6292.